More than 5% of ECC’s students are international students representing more than 66 countries worldwide. Essex County College welcomes international scholars and will help you enter the United States to study.
Applications filed before June 1 of each year will be accepted for the Fall semester. Applications received after June 1 but before October 1 of each year will be accepted for the Spring semester. Any applications filed after October 1 will be considered for the following Fall semester.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS FOR ADMISSION AND FORM I-20 WILL NOT BE PROCESSED!
A complete application package includes an application for admission, application fee, proof of high school graduation, application for Form I-20, notarized affidavits of support, and appropriate financial documentation. Please read Student Checklist and Passport to ECC for additional information.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact an International Student Advisor by calling (973) 877-3009.
- Apply for Admission
- Complete and submit application for admission
- Include $25.00 check or money order made payable to Essex County College. This is a non-refundable application fee
- APPLICATION FEE MUST BE IN UNITED STATES DOLLARS DRAWN ON A UNITED STATES BANK.
- Include proof of high school graduation. Please refer to Passport to ECC for documents applicable to your country
- Apply for Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status (Form I-20)
- Complete and submit application for Form I-20.
- Attach notarized affidavit of annual financial support with required evidence.
- Attach notarized affidavit of free room and board with required evidence (if applicable).
- Apply for your passport as soon as possible. Some countries prohibit their citizens from applying for a passport before receiving the Form I-20. If you have that problem you should apply for admission as soon as possible.
- Apply for passport from your home country.
- Apply for F-1 visa at U.S. Embassy or consulate.
- Follow the rules for applying for F-1 full time student visa included with your Form I-20 from Essex County College
- Pay SEVIS I-901 fee. You can schedule an interview before you make the SEVIS I-901 fee payment. You can fill in the Form I-901 online at www.fmjfee.com
- Bring necessary documentation to indicate compelling reasons to return home after education is completed.
- Bring original financial documentation to prove adequate financial resources to study in the U.S.
- Upon receipt of your passport and F-1 full time student visa:
- Make travel arrangements to U.S. You will be prohibited from entering the U.S. after the last date indicated in item 5 on Form I-20.
- Make living arrangements in the U.S. (Please note that Essex County College has no on-campus housing.)
- Carry adequate currency to help you survive your first three months in the U.S.