The following circumstances qualify a student for exemption from the Accuplacer placement test. Students who met these requirements will receive college-level placement.
- Possession of an associate or higher degree from a U.S. college; appropriate documentation must be provided to the Enrollment Services.
- Transferred college-level credits in English composition and/or mathematics with grade “C” or better.
- SAT scores (prior to April 2016) – within 5 years of the original test date:
- 540 or higher on Critical Reading; 530 or higher on Mathematics
- SAT scores (April 2016 to present) – within 5 years of the original test date:
- 450 or higher on EBRW; 500 or higher on Mathematics
- ACT scores (prior to March 2017) – within 5 years of the original test date:
- 21 or higher in English OR Reading; 21 or higher in Math
- ACT scores (March 2017 to present) – within 5 years of the original test date:
- 16 or higher in English AND 20 or higher in Reading; 20 or higher in Math
- Successful completion of the complete series of developmental courses in English & Mathematics at a NJ college or university. Appropriate documentation must be provided.
- If you took a placement test at another New Jersey college in the last three years. The scores should be sent to the Enrollment Services for evaluation. Essex County College requires scores for the following sections:
- Reading Comprehension
- Writeplacer Essay
- Elementary Algebra
Students with documented disabilities who would like to request appropriate accommodations should contact the Office of Student Disability Services at 973-877-3186 at the main campus.