Exemptions from the Placement Testing
The following circumstances qualify a student for exemption from the placement test. Students who met these requirements will receive college-level placement.
- Possession of an associate or higher degree from a U.S. college; appropriate documentation must be provided to the Enrollment Services Express Center.
- Transferred college-level credits in English composition and/or mathematics with grade “C” or better.
- SAT scores of 540 or higher on critical reading and 530 or higher on mathematics within 5 years of the original test date.
- ACT scores of 21 or higher in English/Reading and 21 or higher in Math within 5 years of the original test date.
- Successful completion of the complete series of development courses in English & Mathematics at a NJ college or university. Appropriate documentation must be provided.
- If you took a placement test at another New Jersey college in the last three years. The scores should be sent to the Enrollment Services Express Center for evaluation. Essex County College requires scores for the following sections.
Students with documented disabilities who would like to request appropriate accommodations should contact the Office of Student Disability Services at 973-877-3186.