Are there any requirements I must satisfy before I start taking courses in my major?
Based on your placement test scores, you may have to take developmental courses in reading, English, and/or mathematics before taking the core curriculum courses in your major.
If I major in Health Information Technology, can I transfer to an upper-division college or university?
The HIT degree program prepares students to enter the workforce directly, and also to transfer to the bachelor’s degree program in Medical Informatics at NJIT. Other colleges and universities may apply some or all of the credits you have earned toward a bachelor’s degree, depending upon their program requirements.
How long will it take for me to complete this degree?
If you do not need developmental coursework and you register for an average of 16 credits each semester, you should be able to complete the program in two years.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Perform the functions of an entry-level Health Information Practitioner;
- Apply ethical principles and legal standards;
- Comply with government regulations and accreditation agencies;
- Adhere to and practice professional standards that govern the health information technology systems;
- Communicate effectively with consumers, providers, and employees of diverse backgrounds and with other health care professionals
Where should I direct specific questions about this program?
Please contact the Division at (973) 877-4400.
General Education Requirements
Written & Oral Communication
and ENG 105
(two 3-credit courses)
Quantitative Knowledge & Skills (4 credits)
MTH 100 (one 4-credit course)
Scientific Knowledge and Reasoning (4 credits)
BIO 121 (one 4-credit course)
Society & Human Behavior (6 credits)
PSY 101 and SOC 101 (two 3-credit courses)
Historical Perspective (3 credits)
Choose one of the following history course: HST 101, HST 102, HST 111, HST 112, HST 121, HST 122, HST 131, HST 132, HST 134, HST 135, HST 136, HST 137, HST 161 or HST 162 (one 3-credit course)
Major Course Requirements
HIT 101 Introduction to Health Care & Public Health in US (3 credits)
HIT 102 Introduction to Customer Service, Ethics and Compliance in Health Information Systems (3 credits)
HIT 103 Introduction to Electronic Health Records (3 credits)
HIT 105 Fundamentals of Health Workflow Process, Analysis & Redesign (3 credits)
HIT 106 Introduction to Project Management (3 credits)
HIT 201 Introduction to Health Management Information Systems (3 credits)
HIT 226 Health Information Technology Internship (3 credits)
Additional Course Requirements
HSC 109 Introduction to Medical Terminology (3 credits)
CSC 104 Network Fundamentals (3 credits)
CSC 137 Introduction to Programming (4 credits)
CIS 137 Micro Computer Databases (4 credits)
CSC 237 Enterprise Java Programming (4 credits)
Recommended Sequence of Courses
(1) The two General Education Integrated Course Goals, Ethical Reasoning & Action and Information Literacy, are both addressed by the required curriculum described above, regardless of specific choices made by the individual student.
(2) This plan assumes the completion of all required developmental courses in Reading, English, and Mathematics as well as other pre-requisites and co-requisites for some of the courses, as listed in the Course Descriptions section.