So, you’re planning to transfer from Essex County College…In the Transfer Center our goal is to make your transition to a four year college as seamless as possible.


1. What things should I consider when choosing a Transfer College?

The decision to continue your under graduate education is the first step in the transfer process. Thinking about transferring and deciding to proceed can be a very exciting experience. From here, there are two important steps left. One is to apply for admission and financial aid, the second is to visit the prospective college, if possible.


2. When should I prepare to transfer?

EARLY!Planning for transfer should begin with the very first course you take at a community college. Since your plan is to transfer, make sure that you are enrolled in a transfer program that will allow you to fulfill degree requirement for both colleges while at the community college. Talk to your academic counselor or to the transfer advisor who will provide you with accurate transfer information.


3. How do I choose a transfer institution?

  • Obtain and read college guides or go to American Universities online college web sites.
  • Consider the location and size of the college.
  • Find out what scholarships, loans and other financial assistance are available
  • Match academic offerings and reputation to your major
  • Visit the campus formally and informally
  • Contact admissions offices to acquire information

Attend transfer events and workshops at ECC

Once you have collected all the necessary data from the four-year college, take time to sit down and answer the questions listed below before making your final choice. Most schools offer students the option of using an on-line application in addition to the paper process. Use whichever form you feel suits your needs best.

An essay is not required with an AA/AS degree for most colleges, but if yours is a special case where you would like to explain unusual circumstances (why you had several withdrawals in one semester, or poor grades in starting college), you may want to write a letter to accompany your application.


4. Is my choice of major offered at the college I’ve chosen?

Find out if the college you are interested in offer a range of majors in which you are interested. This information is available on line at the college web site. If your search is limited to NJ you can go to for a list of colleges and universities. For colleges and universities outside of New Jersey go to for a complete list.


5. What is NJ Transfer?

NJ Transfer is a computerized data information system created to facilitate the transfer of students from New Jersey community colleges to NJ State Colleges & Public Universities and other participating institutions.

Type of information provided by NJ TRANSFER

  • Course equivalency
  • Recommended transfer programs
  • Transcript evaluation
  • Search for majors


6. What is an articulation agreement?

Articulation agreements are developed between Essex County College (ECC) and four-year institutions for the purpose of maximizing the number of credits students can transfer. Each articulation agreement specifies how the coursework taken at Essex County applies to the baccalaureate degree program at the four-year institution.7. What is a Dual Admission Agreement?

Dual admission agreements are specialized transfer agreements which offer students who have been denied admission to the four-year college admittance to ECC. These agreements guarantee admission and transfer of credits to the four-year college after completion of ECC degree requirements. While each agreement has slightly different requirements, all agreements require that a student must officially sign up with the four-year college and complete a specific degree program at Essex.Students who are currently enrolled at ECC or who transfer in from another college are not eligible to participate in the Dual Admission Program.

A dual program allows the student to be enrolled at Essex County College and a four-year school simultaneously. Currently ECC only has dual degree agreements with Rutgers University and St. Peters College.


8. What is a Joint Admission Agreement?

Joint Admissions Programs provide an opportunity for ECC students to complete a two-year degree at Essex and also be guaranteed admissions to a four-year college. Students must follow a specific course of study and graduate from an eligible program of study at ECC with the required cumulative grade point average (GPA).

Joint Admission Programs have very specific requirements and are not meant for every student. They are generally designed for students who are just beginning their college work and have selected one major and one specific college that they plan to attend. To find out if you are eligible for joint admission the student must complete the Intent to Transfer form available on the website or in the Transfer Center. (Rm. 4100)

Students who do not meet the Joint admission eligibility requirements or who are unsure of their major or choice of four-year colleges or Universities can always continue at ECC and transfer through the traditional transfer.


9. Can I transfer to schools other than those in New Jersey?
Most Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Essex County College is a regionally accredited institution. Therefore, most courses in academic subjects are transferable. Since many vocational and personal enrichment courses typically do not transfer it is best to consult with an academic advisor.


10. How much does it cost to attend a four-year college?

The cost of attending a four-year college will differ depending on the type of college you choose. The decision you must make is will I be able to afford the college of my choice. There are 3 types of four-year colleges in New Jersey; Private (Seton Hall, FDU, Drew, & Bloomfield et al) Public (UMDNJ, Rutgers & NJIT) & State (Montclair, Kean, NJCU, William Paterson, Ramapo, Richard Stockton et al). The most accurate information is found on line. Check the web site of the college of interest for the most up to date listing of tuition rates.

The information listed may be recorded in annual tuition (24 credits per academic year) or cost per credit on a college web site.


11. Will I be able to transfer all my credits?

Generally four-year institutions in New Jersey will accept one-half of the baccalaureate program but not more than 80 credits from a community college graduate. However, the number of credits accepted will vary depending of the college choice and the major program of interest.

Additionally, any credits taken at a prior institution will be evaluated separately form those earned at ECC, the minimum grade requirement for transfer is normally a 2.0 or “C”. It is also important to note that in most cases “D” grades are not transferable. This is especially true if the “D” grade is earned in a major course.


12. When should I transfer?

You may transfer at any time provided that you meet the four-year institution’s admission requirements. Typically, you must meet a minimum credit and grade point average requirement, which will vary from institution to institution.

The best time to transfer is after you have graduated or have completed all of your degree requirements. Most students apply for transfer when they have registered for their last semester of classes at ECC.

While each college has its own admission requirements, the average number of credits needed to transfer as a transfer student is 24 college level credits. The timing of transfer is a personal decision that must be made by the individual. Talking to your academic counselor could help make you final decision easier.


13. Will my financial aid transfer from Essex County College to another institution?

In general, federal grants and state scholarships should transfer. You need to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have an official financial aid transcript form ECC forwarded to the financial aid office of the college(s) you are applying to in order to determine your eligibility of continued financial assistance.


14. Is it to my advantage to complete an associate degree before I transfer?

Yes! New Jersey community college students who have completed the associate degree (AA or AS) will transfer up to 80 semester hours of credit with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or who have earned a “C” grade or better.

Although it is not a requirement to graduate prior to transferring, it is advisable that you carefully weigh the options. Most colleges give special consideration for AA or AS degree recipients. Early transfer could result in a lost of transferable credits earned at the community college.


15. If I transfer prior to completing program requirements can I still earn an associate degree from Essex County College?

Yes! You may transfer up to 15 credit hours that are applicable to your program back to Essex County College to fulfill your graduation requirements.


16. What is the CEEB code for Essex County College (requested on some application forms)?

Some application forms for four-your colleges ask for the CEEB code of other colleges you have attended or are attending. ECC’s CEEB number is 2237.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email