In keeping with the theme “Learn it, Feel it, Shout it, Live it at the Clara E. Dasher Student Center,” the Student Center serves as a central focus for student life. It is located adjacent to the College’s main entrance at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and West Market Street, an easily accessible and visible area.
Dasher Student Center’s Goals Include:
- To be a gathering place for the Essex community through informal socializing and studying.
- To provide cultural, recreational, and leadership activities along with skill development and social interaction.
- To promote collegiality and school spirit in a friendly and relaxed environment.
- To offer activities that give a sense of community and pride to the members of Essex County College and the larger community in which we live.
Places You Have to Check Out!
- Informal study lounge where students can read, study, and use College-provided computer stations.
- The Game Room provides four professional sized pool tables, table tennis tables, air hockey, Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360, PS4 and board games.
- Café and Cyber Lab that offer the opportunity to study, socialize and relax.
- State-of-the-art TV Room equipped with a 60” screen for viewing the latest videos, or to watch daily show and movies.The Dasher Student Center is the focal point on campus for students and organizations to meet, program events and participate in leisure activities. For example, clubs and performance groups meet in a first-class facility where they can work together. The Dasher Student Center is home to exciting student productions highlighting the talents of students and of the community. This prime location is ideal for in-school and community events. The Dasher Center houses a wide variety of offices and services for student government, clubs and the student newspaper.The Dasher Student Center fosters a family atmosphere, promoting a feeling of togetherness that can only benefit the student body at Essex County College. The Center offers more than a place for formal meetings of groups; it is also a spot where students can find their own place within the College.
The center is aptly named in memory of Essex’s beloved friend and former trustee/chairperson, Clara E. Dasher. Long recognized as an ardent champion for human and civil rights and for her work and interaction at the community level, Ms. Dasher’s name on this Center serves as an inspiration and memoir of her role as a student advocate.