To ensure your aid is processed on time, please use this checklist as your guide for completing the financial aid process.
As soon after January 1 but at least by April 1:
- Applied and received an Acceptance Letter from ECC, if a New Student.
- Taken the College’s Placement Test, if a New Student.
- Declared a major. Students must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program.
- Submitted an Academic Transcript, if a transfer student.
- Taken the Ability To Benefit Test (ATB), if a Non-High School Graduate.
- Filed the FAFSA or the Renewal FAFSA on the Web or completed and mailed the paper or Renewal FAFSA to the Federal Processor. Use the web version of the forms. It is the fastest and most accurate way to apply for aid.
Four/six weeks after submitting the FAFSA:
- Received your Student Aid Report (SAR). If you don’t receive your SAR within four to six weeks, call 1-800-433-3243 to track the status of your FAFSA.
- If all items on your SAR are correct,you don’t have to do anything. Retain your SAR for your record. The office will receive your FAFSA electronically from the federal processor. If you did not list our school code 007107 on your FAFSA, the office will assist you in adding our school code to your FAFSA.
- If any item on your SAR is incorrect, report to the Financial Aid Office for assistance in making the corrections. The office will submit the corrections electronically for you.
- Completed your file, by submitting all requested documents, forms and information to the Financial Aid Office by April 1 if you are a Returning Student and by May 1 if you are a New Student. Complete our file by these dates to allow the office enough time to process your application before you register for classes.
By August 1, you should have (if your file was complete):
- Received an Award Letter from the ECC Financial Aid Office notifying you of the amount of aid you have been awarded. Note: Students denied aid should receive a Letter of Denial.
- Registered for Fall classes.
- Registered for 12 or more credits to receive State Aid (TAG and EOF).
- Picked up a Book Voucher from the Financial Aid Office, if you have funds remaining after your tuition and fees were deducted from your financial aid award.
NOTE: If you missed the Priority Processing Deadlines listed above, you must be prepared to pay your registration bill in full or you must sign up for the College’s Payment Plan until your eligibility for aid is determined. Failure to make a payment on your registration bill means your classes will be canceled within 24 hours of registration. For more financial aid information, go to webservices.essex.edu