Federal Pell Grants

Credit Requirement:

The amount of your Federal Pell Grant is pro-rated based on your billed credits each semester:

  • FULL-TIME: 12 or more billed credits equals 100% of a semester’s PELL.
  • 3/4-TIME: registered for between 9 – 11.5 billed credits, equals 75% of a semester’s PELL.
  • HALF-TIME: registered for between 6 – 9 billed credits 50% of a semester’s PELL.
  • LESS THAN HALF-TIME: registered for between 1 – 5.5 billed credits equals 25% of a semester’s PELL.

Special Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must demonstrate financial need

Award Amounts: Up to $6,095 per year

Program Information: Students who have earned B.A. or B.S. degrees are not eligible


Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

Credit Requirement:

  • SEOG FULL-TIME: registered for 12 or more billed credits.
  • SEOG PART-TIME: registered for between 6 – 11 billed credits.
  • SEOG LESS THAN HALF-TIME: registered for between 1 – 5.5 billed credits.

Special Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must demonstrate financial need and apply on or before May 1 (Oct. 1 for spring only)

Award Amounts: $200-$1000 per year at Essex County College

Credit Requirement:

Program Information: Priority to students with the lowest family contribution who are eligible for Pell


Federal Work Study Program (FWS)

Credit Requirement:
Must be registered for a minimum of 6 credits

Special Eligibility Requirements: Applicants must enroll at least half-time (6 credits) and demonstrate a financial need

Award Amounts: Determined by hourly rate of pay and number of hours per week, generally from $800 to $3000 per year

Program Information: Employment is on or off-campus; students may work up to 14 hours per week when classes are in session and 28 hours per week during vacations


How to Apply to Federal Aid Programs

  • File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) and include Essex County College Federal School 007107 as a college you plan to attend
  • Students should apply as soon as possible on or after January 1
  • Submit verification of all types of income and other requested documentation to the Essex County College Financial Aid office
  • Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree
  • Demonstrate financial need (except for certain loans).
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, pass an ability-to-benefit (ATB) test approved by the U.S. Department of Education, or have satisfactorily completed six credit hours or the equivalent course work toward a degree or certificate.
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.
  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain’s Island)
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Permanent Resident Card)
  • If you’re not in one of these categories, you must be an eligible noncitizen, and you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:
  • “Refugee”
  • “Asylum Granted” “Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending”
  • “Conditional Entrant” (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • Victims of human trafficking, T-visa (T-2, T-3, or T-4, etc.) holder
  • “Parolee” (You must be paroled into the United States for at least one year and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.)
  • Have a valid Social Security Number.
  • Register with the Selective Service if required. You can use the paper or electronic FAFSASM to register, you can register at www.sss.gov, or you can call 1-847-688-6888. (TTY users can call 1-847-688-2567.)
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress once in school.
  • Certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant.
  • Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email