School Employees Health Benefits Program (SEHBP)
Medical coverage is provided under the School Employees Health Benefits Program (SEHBP). The plan provides coverage for the employee, spouse, children until age 26, and children over age 26 who may have mental or physical challenges. Effective June 28, 2011, (Chapter 78 P.L. 2011) employees are required to contribute a certain percentage of income towards their medical insurance premiums. The rate of contribution varies by income.
Full-time employees are eligible for coverage 60 days from date of hire. Employees may choose from the following options:
- Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs): When you enroll in an HMO you select a Primary Care Physician (PCP) from a group of participating providers contracted by the HMO. All services other than emergencies are coordinated through the PCP. The co-payment for HMO in-network primary doctor visits and visits to a referred specialist is $10. You have a choice of two HMOs: Aetna HMO and Horizon HMO.
- To view or download a copy of the Aetna or Horizon Member Handbooks, click here.
- Preferred Provider Organizations (PPOs): These plans provide both in network and out-of-network medical services. You are not required to choose a Primary Care Physician and do not need a referral for in-network services. You have a choice of three PPO plans: NJ Direct 10, NJ Direct 15 and Aetna Freedom.
- The copayment for NJ DIRECT10 in-network primary doctor visits and visits to a network specialist is $10. Most out-of-network services are reimbursable at 80% of the “reasonable and customary” allowance after deductibles are met.
- The copayment for NJ DIRECT15 in-network primary doctor visits and visits to a network specialist is $15. Most out-of-network services are reimbursable at 70% of the “reasonable and customary” allowance after deductibles are met.
For changes to health coverage, the open enrollment is October of each year for a January 1 effective date.
|For more information on these plans you may visit the State website at:
Essex County College provides dental coverage through Delta Dental Insurance. Delta Dental is one of the larger providers of dental coverage in the nation. Employees may elect to enroll in a plan option that best fits their family needs.
- Advantage (Group No. 7251-8001): The Advantage Plan offers access to cost efficient dental care provided by a network of participating dentists on a fee-for-service basis at 80% after a $50 annual deductible per person. In Delta’s Advantage Plan, dentists agree that their fee for covered service(s) will not exceed the Delta schedule of fees and agree not to balance bill you for the difference.
- Preferred (Group No. 7251-6001):The Preferred Plan Option (PPO) pays your dentist at 100% for certain basic benefits after and annual $50 deductible per person. Enrollees must go to a participant dentist.
- Premier (Group No. 7251-0001): The Premier Plan offers access to dental care by a large network of participant dentists with reimbursement for non-network dentists. Covered services are eligible at 80% after a $50 annual deductible per person. You are responsible for payment of the difference between Delta Dental’s payment and the amount approved by them.
Information to help you understand and access your benefits, check a claim, print an ID card, find a dentist or other resources are available at: www.deltadentalnj.com.
Employees are eligible to enroll in the vision care membership program offered through Premier Vision Care Network (PVCN). The plan offers discounts on eye examinations, purchase of eye glasses, and contact lenses. An annual membership fee applies. Enrollment is in March for a June 1st effective date.
Membership specifics can be viewed at: email@example.com or by calling 1-888-234-7826.
SHORT TERM DISABILITY
This is a voluntary employee paid program. Employees are able to elect coverage for short term disability through AFLAC or Colonial Supplemental Insurance. Both companies also offer Family Life Insurance, Accidental and Medical Protection and Personal Cancer Protection plans.
AFLAC Program specifics are available at: www.aflac.com Representative: Gloria Tortorello. Contact number: (973) 342-2606
Colonial Supplemental Insurance specifics are available at: www.coloniallife.com Representative: Benjamin Gallo. Contact number: (732) 388-8156.
LONG TERM DISABILITY
Available to Alternate Benefit Program (ABP) participants only as a component of the life insurance provision of the Program. Employees are eligible after one year of employment and must be disabled for six months to be eligible for disability coverage. The maximum payout is 60% of base salary minus any other benefits due and payable to the employee.
Additional details are available at: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions/abp1.shtml
Life insurance coverage varies with the state pension plan for which the employee is eligible.
Insurance coverage amounts are as follows:
Alternate Benefit Program (ABP)
Life Insurance: 3.5 times base salary
Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS)
Life Insurance: 1.5 times base salary (non-contributory)
1.5 times base salary (contributory)
Police and Firemen’s Retirement System (PFRS)
Life Insurance: 3.5 times base salary (non-contributory)
Supplemental Life Insurance
Faculty members are eligible for a non contributory benefit equal to one (1) time base salary. The benefit is for supplemental life insurance as well as employee accidental death and dismemberment coverage. Life insurance reduces to 65% of base salary at age 65 and again reduces to 50% of base salary at age 70.
For more information, please visit: www.metlife.com
Depending upon your job classification and state eligibility determination, you will be required to enroll in one of the state pension plans. You will be notified when you are hired regarding the plan you will join. Pension contributions and life insurance values are as follows:
- Alternate Benefit Program (ABP): For instructional staff and certain other qualifying non-instructional titles.
- Employee Contribution: 5% base salary
- Employer Contribution: 8%
- Life Insurance: 3.5 times base salary
- Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS): Non-instructional employees.
- Employee Contribution: 6.78% base salary (phased in to 7.5% by July 2018)
- Employer Contribution: Variable from year to year
- Life Insurance: 1.5 times base salary (non-contributory)
- 1.5 times base salary (contributory)
- Police and Firemen’s Retirement System (PFRS): Campus police officers.
- Employee Contribution: 10% base salary
- Employer Contribution: Variable from year to year
- Life Insurance: 3.5 times base salary (non-contributory)
For more information on these plans please visit: www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions
TUITION REIMBURSEMENT & WAIVER
Full-time non-probationary employees and their dependents qualify for tuition remission upon acceptance and enrollment in an academic program at Essex County College. Application forms and procedures for receiving the waiver can be obtained from the Human Resources Department. Employees should refer to their bargaining unit contracts for eligibility details.
Full-time non probationary employees may receive tuition reimbursement for approved courses of study offered through accredited institutions. The rate of reimbursement is based on the bargaining unit contract.
The following savings programs are offered on a voluntary basis:
403(b) and 457(b) Plans:
Employees who are members of a New Jersey State Pension Program are eligible to participate in a 403(b) Supplemental Retirement Annuity and 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan. For 2016 employees may contribute before tax contributions amounting to $17,500 if under the age of 50 and $23,000 if over the age of 50.
Plan information is available at: www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions.
Participating carriers are as follows:
- VALIC – 1-800-448-2542 or www.valic.com/Home_192_28365.html
- Equitable (AXA Financial) – 1-800-628-6673 or www.equitable.com/nj
- MassMutual 1-800-528-9009 or www.massmutual.com/govnp
- Voya – 1-732-326-5613 or www.voyafa.com
- TIAA – 1-800-842-8412 or www.tiaa.org
- Met Life – 1-800-545-0108 or www.metlife.com
Supplemental Annuity Collective Trust Fund of New Jersey (SACT)
If you are a participant in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS), Teachers’ Pension and Annuity Fund (TPAF), and Police and Firemen’s Retirement System (PFRS), you are eligible to enroll in this voluntary investment program. This program is administered by the State of New Jersey.
For 2016 employees may contribute before tax contributions amounting to $18,000 if under the age of 50 and $24,000 if over the age of 50. For more information on this program, please visit www.state.nj.us/treasury/pensions
North Jersey Federal Credit Union
Employees have the unique opportunity of enrolling in a credit union for direct deposit of their pay checks and taking advantage of savings and loan opportunities. For more information, please visit www.njfcu.org or call 973-785-9200.
Workplace 529 Plan
The Fidelity Advisor 529 Plan, managed through the Workplace 529 Program, allows employees to enjoy federal tax-deferred growth of any earnings while saving for a child’s college education. For more information, please visit: www.advisor.fidelity.com.