1. Apply for admission
- Complete and submit application for admission
- Include $25.00 check or money order made payable to Essex County College. This is a non-refundable application fee. APPLICATION FEE MUST BE IN UNITED STATES DOLLARS DRAWN ON A UNITED STATES BANK
- Include proof of high school graduation. Please refer to Passport to ECC for documents applicable to your country.
2. Apply for Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status (Form I-20)
3. Apply for your passport as soon as possible. Some countries prohibit their citizens from applying for a passport before receiving the Form I-20. If you have that problem you should apply for admission as soon as possible.
- Complete and submit application for Form I-20.
- Attach notarized affidavit of annual financial support with required evidence.
- Attach notarized affidavit of free room and board with required evidence (if applicable).
- Apply for passport from your home country.
- Apply for F-1 visa at U.S. Embassy or consulate.
- Follow the rules for applying for F-1 full time student visa included with your Form I-20 from Essex County College
- Pay SEVIS I-901 fee. You can schedule an interview before you make the SEVIS I-901 fee payment. You can fill in the Form I-901 online at www.fmjfee.com
- Bring necessary documentation to indicate compelling reasons to return home after education is completed.
- Bring original financial documentation to prove adequate financial resources to study in the U.S
4. Upon receipt of your passport and F-1 full time student visa:
- Make travel arrangements to U.S. You will be prohibited from entering the U.S. after the last date indicated in item 5 on Form I-20.
- Make living arrangements in the U.S. (Please note that Essex County College has no on-campus housing.)
- Carry adequate currency to help you survive your first three months in the U.S.