CET 111 CONSTRUCTION METHODS AND MATERIALS
CET 111 – Construction Methods and Materials
Course Number & Name: CET 111 Construction Methods and Materials
Credit Hours: 3.0 Contact Hours: 3.0 Lecture: 3.0 Lab: N/A Other: N/A
Prerequisites: Grades of “C” or better in ENG 096 and RDG 096 or placement
Co-requisites: None Concurrent Courses: None
Course Description: This course is an introduction to construction practices and materials used in construction. Emphasis is placed on the basic materials including concrete, steel, asphalt, masonry and wood. Portland cement concrete is mixed in the lab and tested for strength. Other topics covered include site preparation and grading, foundations and framing systems. A research paper is presented orally in class.
Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- demonstrate knowledge of fundamental framing for buildings;
- demonstrate knowledge of foundations of buildings;
- demonstrate knowledge of the composition of and the processes used to manufacture building materials;
- demonstrate knowledge of the processes used to prepare a site for building construction; and
- prepare a research report on a construction topic and present the report orally while working as a team.