CET 221 HYDRAULICS AND DRAINAGE
CET 221 – Hydraulics and Drainage
Course Number & Name: CET 221 Hydraulics and Drainage
Credit Hours: 4.0 Contact Hours: 5.0 Lecture: 3.0 Lab: 2.0 Other: N/A
Prerequisites: Grade of “C” or better in CET 211 and MTH 113
Co-requisites: None Concurrent Courses: None
Course Description: This course is an introduction to the fluid properties of water and the concepts of surface water hydrology. Topics covered include flow through pipes and channels and relationships between rainfall and runoff. Class time is divided between the study of theory and the application of this theory in the design of storm drainage systems. Laboratory exercises are included to complement lecture topics.
Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- compute values of relevant parameters for static pressure and pressure flow in a pipe;
- compute values of relevant parameters for flow through hydraulic devices;
- compute values of relevant parameters for open channel flow;
- compute peak flow and hydrographs for runoff from small watersheds; and
- design simple stormwater management systems.