CET 231 STRUCTURES
CET 231 – Structures
Course Number & Name: CET 231 Structures
Credit Hours: 4.0 Contact Hours: 4.0 Lecture: 4.0 Lab: N/A Other: N/A
Prerequisites: Grade of “C” or better in ENR 220
Co-requisites: None Concurrent Courses: None
Course Description: In this course, students perform calculations and write specifications for the correct size and physical characteristics of structural components of the simpler forms of structural systems. Design of steel and wood framing members, including bearing plates, base plates and riveted, bolted and welded connections is included. Also included is the study of reinforced concrete elements such as rectangular beams, T-beams and one and two-way slabs.
Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- prepare bending moment and shear force diagrams for beams loaded with uniformly distributed loads, concentrated loads and moments;
- design and analyze steel and wood beams;
- design and analyze steel and wood columns;
- design and analyze bolted and welded connections; and
- design reinforced concrete beams and columns.