Course Number & Name: CSC 221 Computer Systems and Architecture
Credit Hours: 4.0 Contact Hours: 4.0 Lecture: 4.0 Lab: N/A Other: N/A
Course Description: This course provides a general introduction to the structure of computer systems and covers Assembly language for a specific computer. Topics discussed include machine components and cycles, assemblers, addressing techniques, macros, subroutines, program linkage, and input/output. A specific Assembly language is developed and implemented. Students must be prepared for extensive individual work in the computer laboratory.
<!–Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- describe the basic hardware component of the digital computer;
- describe the fetch-and-execute cycle as it is implemented in the hardware;
- explain and use the binary and hexadecimal numbering systems;
- express circuit function in terms of Boolean expressions; and
- design, implement and test combinational and sequential circuits.