UTI 112 ENERGY AUDIT AND WEATHERIZATION
UTI 112 – Energy Audit and Weatherization
Course Number & Name: UTI 112 Energy Audit and Weatherization
Credit Hours: 3.0 Contact Hours: 4.0 Lecture: 2.0 Lab: 2.0 Other: N/A
Prerequisites: Grade of “C” or better in UTI 111
Co-requisites: None Concurrent Courses: None
Course Description: Introduction to the analysis of energy use in buildings, the basic principles of insulation and weatherization, and the tools needed to conduct an energy audit. Topics include heat transfer through the building envelope, applicable codes and regulations for residential and light commercial building systems.
Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- explain the basic principles of energy;
- describe in detail the energy auditing process;
- identify and explain the necessary assessment tools, energy audit software and procedural concepts used in energy auditing;
- solve basic heating and cooling load problems, including solving for the R-value and assessing (quantifying) overall building thermal performance; and
- write an energy audit report estimating energy use given local climate criteria, thermostat setting, roof overhang, and solar orientation given a specific time period and the impact of suggested annual improvements.