Course Number & Name: ENR 220 Mechanics of Materials
Credit Hours: 4.0 Contact Hours: 6.0 Lecture: 3.0 Lab: 3.0 Other: N/A
Course Description: This course for technology students covers stresses and deformation in structural members due to axial, tensile and compressive loads, torsional loads on shafts and bending and shear loads on beams. Also included is the study of the basic design of structural members based on the analysis of stress and the deformation.
<!–Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- calculate stresses on a member subjected to axial loads;
- calculate stresses of a member subjected to shear force;
- explain and compute the mechanical properties of materials;
- calculate angular rotation of a shaft subjected to torsional moment;
- compute forces, stresses, and bending moments in loaded beams; and
- evaluate combined stresses and draw Mohr’s stress circle.