Course Number & Name: JRN 145 Journalism Internship
Credit Hours: 1.0 Contact Hours: 1.0 Lecture: 1.0 Lab: N/A Other: N/A
Course Description: The Journalism Internship is designed to give students seeking a career in journalism/communications the practical experience towards completion of their program. Students will have the opportunity to work on the Essex County College Observer (ECCO), the College newspaper and/or other approved publications.
<!–Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- demonstrate accurate, fair and factual oral and written communication skills in reporting, revising, covering and editing of relevant news stories acceptable by professional journalism standards;
- conduct effective research, interviews and evaluation of news;
- demonstrate knowledge of fundamental concepts and theories in the presentation of news;
- identify, access and apply appropriate technological and multi-media tools in writing and evaluating critical information and in layout and design of publishable news stories; and
- explain the historical (professional, institutions), social (diversity, cultural), economic (businesses, advertisers) perspectives, and ethical guidelines and practices that govern the journalism profession, including the legal implications and constraints that inform the profession.