Course Number & Name: HSC 152 Massage Theory and Practice II
Credit Hours: 4.0 Contact Hours: 4.0 Lecture: 4.0 Lab: N/A Other: N/A
Course Description: A continuing education in the study of massage therapy. This course intends to begin to extend the student’s knowledge of massage beyond the classical Swedish movement of Per Henrik Ling into more advanced medical massage techniques. Students will take an intense study of Myology as they are simultaneously introduced to Myofascial Release and Neuromuscular/Trigger Point therapies. They will learn the history, theory, and practical use of these methods as adjuncts to their already acquired skills in Swedish massage.
<!–Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- discuss the fundamentals of Myofascial Release;
- examine basic Myofascial techniques;
- examine advanced Myofascial techniques;
- discuss the background and principles of Trigger Point therapy;
- discuss considerations that apply to all muscles with perpetuating factors; and
- examine trigger points in all muscles from head to foot.