Course Number & Name: HSC 153 Massage Theory and PracticeIII
Credit Hours: 4.0 Contact Hours: 4.0 Lecture: 4.0 Lab: N/A Other: N/A
Course Description: A continuing education in the study of massage therapy. This course intends to extend further the student’s knowledge of massage therapy. Students will be introduced to sports massage and reflexology. They will learn the history, theory, and practical use of these methods as adjuncts to their already acquired skills in Swedish massage. Students will be exposed to the Essex County Colleges sports teams, providing treatment for the various intercollegiate athletes (track, soccer, and basketball). Students will also provide reflexology services to outside clients through the program’s on-campus clinic.
<!–Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- discuss the theory and science of sports massage;
- discuss the effects and purpose of sports massage, indications and contraindications;
- demonstrate sports massage techniques and phases;
- discuss the theory and science of reflexology;
- define and discuss common terms used in reflexology; and
- demonstrate reflexology techniques and the various reflexology zones.