Course Number & Name: HSC 155 Professional Development in Massage Therapy I
Credit Hours: 2.0 Contact Hours: 2.0 Lecture: 2.0 Lab: N/A Other: N/A
Course Description: This course is designed to orient the student to the role of Professional Massage Therapy within the health care environment and general community. Topics covered will include ethics, boundaries, creating a professional and safe environment, sex, touch, intimacy, and regulations at the state and national levels. The goal of this course is to develop a comprehensive understanding of professional behavior and career development in the field of massage therapy in order to comply with state and national regulations, to best serve all clients, and to find fulfillment in the field of massage therapy.
<!–Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- demonstrate knowledge of ethical principles;
- discuss issues of boundaries, how they are developed, and how boundary crossings occur;
- discuss the dynamics of effective communication;
- analyze the concept of dual relationships;
- discuss the inter-relationship of sex, touch, and intimacy; and
- describe ethical practice management.