Course Number & Name: HSC 109 Medical Terminology
Credit Hours: 3.0 Contact Hours: 3.0 Lecture: 3.0 Lab: N/A Other: N/A
Course Description: A survey of medical science designed to foster mastery of medical terminology to ensure its accurate and appropriate use in the allied health fields is presented in this course. Medical vocabulary is emphasized and a general discussion of human anatomy and physiology is provided. Disease, diagnosis and treatment procedures are also covered.
<!–Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- explain the concepts and purpose of medical terminology as applied to the human body;
- describe normal structure and function of the body cells, tissues, organs and systems and discuss the abnormalities or disorders resulting from injury and/or disease;
- list the categories and major manifestations of disease, identifying and using the terms pertaining to disease;
- describe diagnostic aids, selected laboratory tests and forms of treatment used in medical practice; and
- explain pharmacologic terms and name a variety of drugs commonly used in medicine and their purposes.