SOC 252 CASE MANAGEMENT OF ADDICTIONS
SOC 252 – Case Management of Addictions
Course Number & Name: SOC 252 Case Management of Addictions
Credit Hours: 3.0 Contact Hours: 3.0 Lecture: 3.0 Lab: N/A Other: N/A
Prerequisites: Grade of “C” or better in SOC 101 or PSY 101
Co-requisites: None Concurrent Courses: None
Course Description: This course provides an introduction to the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for addiction counselors to perform counseling functions, clinical evaluation, treatment planning, and case management. It introduces students to the professional and ethical responsibilities of professional practice. This course is approved as 42 educational hours towards the CADC credential. Also, this course, together with SOC 250 Alcohol and Drug Use in American Society, constitutes the educational requirements for the Chemical Dependency Associate (CDA) in New Jersey. In addition, SOC 250 and CJI 211 Counseling the Addicted Offender, constitutes the educational requirements for the Criminal Justice Counselor (CJC).
Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- conduct initial interviews by implementing basic skills;
- conduct a biopsychosocial assessment by integrating necessary knowledge and skills;
- perform a diagnostic summary by implementing necessary skills;
- describe and utilize recognized assessment instruments currently used with substance use disorders (SUDs), other addictive disorders, and mental health disorders;
- serve as a consultant by applying requisite knowledge and skills;
- identify and adhere to ethical standards of conduct used with those who have substance use disorders (SUDs), other addictive disorders, and mental health disorders; and
- identify and adhere to federal, state, and agency regulations regarding alcohol and other drug abuse treatment procedures.