Course Number & Name: UCC 170 Technical Assistant
Credit Hours: 3.0 Contact Hours: 3.0 Lecture: 3.0 Lab: N/A Other: N/A
Course Description: This course is designed to meet the state’s educational program requirements to become licensed, through the Department of Community Affairs, as a Technical Assistant to the Construction Official’s office. The course consists of the state-required 45 hours of classroom instruction covering the duties and responsibilities of a Technical Assistant. The instructor equally emphasizes specific requirements of the Construction Official when working in the Uniform Construction Code office. This course also covers information relevant to UCC groups, issuing certificates, and assistance with public permits.
<!–Course Goals: Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to do the following:
- identify, discuss, and apply technical skills relevant for processing building permits;
- identify, discuss, and demonstrate the daily duties and responsibilities of a Technical Assistant functioning under the building codes and rules and regulations of the Uniform Construction Code office;
- demonstrate the research skills necessary to utilize the ICC reference materials;
- summarize the history of the Uniform Construction Code Act and the organizational structure of UCC; and
- identify, describe, and demonstrate proficient customer service, conflict resolution, and stress management skills and techniques.