- Are you “real” police officers?
- How do I report an emergency or crime?
- Where can I find Campus Crime Statistics
- I saw something that looked suspicious, what should I do?
- What is the procedure for getting into a classroom/building after hours or on weekends?
- What do I do if I have lost or found an item?
- How can I send a message to the police department?
Yes. The law enforcement officers of the Essex County College Police Department are certified police officers by the State of New Jersey. We are vested with the same authority as the members of your local police department. We are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Contact the Campus Police Department by dialing 973-877-3312.
Be prepared to give:
- your emergency or nature of call
- your location (know where you are)
- who you are
- any suspect information available
- and answer any other questions the dispatcher has
The Police Department publishes a compilation of campus crime statistics each year. This information is available online by visiting our Clery Report page.
I saw something that looked suspicious, what should I do?
CALL THE CAMPUS POLICE. Explain what you saw and we will determine what course of action should be taken. Don’t be afraid to call if you are unsure. At the least, we’ll direct your call to the proper department or agency. If you saw a criminal act take place, but wish to remain anonymous, click on our Silent Witness page. All submissions are 100% anonymous and confidential.
During after hours and on weekends you must have permission to get into a building. The department head, or designee, must send a letter to the police department on ECC departmental letterhead. Due to security reasons, there is no leeway in this matter.
Found items should be turned into the police as soon as possible. You may call the Campus Police Administration Office at 973-877-3131 to inquire about lost items.