The Office of Student Development and Counseling (SDC) provides support to assist students in being successful during their time at Essex County College. The office is led by Dr. S. Aisha Steplight Johnson, Director of Student Development and Career Services. The Office of Student Development and Counseling offers counseling, assistance with accommodations, career resources, and advisement for graduating students to smoothly transfer to four-year colleges.
Students who need assistance with their academics or personal matters can see one of our three Counselors.
Counselors assist students with personal issues ranging from self-improvement, study and test-taking skills, time management, goal setting, career decision making and information and referral services to community resources. A complete list of additional in-house and community offered services are available in the Community Resource Guide.
Differently Abled Services
Students who are differently abled may see Ms. Maria Mercado, Coordinator of Disability Services to self-identify and discuss their needs. Some services provided include:
Writing accommodation letters.
- Referring students to outside agencies.
- Teaching relaxation techniques.
- Acquiring PDF versions of books.
- Communicating with Professors and Chairpersons on behalf of students.
- Finding tutors.
Career Resource Center Services
Career Services provided by the Office of Student Development and Counseling include:
- Career Planning Workshops in the College Success Seminar
- Career Awareness Online Tools
- An Employer Panel
- Resume Writing
- Mock Interviewing
- Dress for Success
- Job Fair
- Placement into Federal Work Study Jobs, Cooperative Education Experiences for Academic Credit, Internships, and Off-campus Jobs
The staff members who assist students with these career services are:
- Ms. Denise Brooks, Coordinator of Career Resources and Student Development Initiatives
- Mrs. Fatima McMahon, Coordinator of Job Development and Federal Work Study/Placement, Internships and Cooperative Education
- Mr. Micah Mukabi, Associate Director—Job Development
You may also be interested in:
- Co-ops and Internships
- Transfer Services
- Career path planning with Career Coach
We want students to “Begin with the end in mind.” It is to a student’s advantage to complete a certificate or degree while at Essex County College. When students are ready to graduate from Essex and meet with Four-Year Colleges and start applying to Four-Year Colleges, they can come to the office to meet with Ms. Chanda Webb who is the Academic Advisor—Transfer Students.
You may also be interested in:
- Admission Agreements (Joint/Dual)
- Articulation Agreements
- College and University List
- Course Equivalency Sheets
- Fee Waivers
- NJ College Phone Numbers
- Transfer Timetable
You may reach the Office of Student Development and Counseling (SDC) by calling our Technical Assistant Mrs. Jennifer Wicker-Buchanan at (973) 877-3350. We are located in Room 4122. SDC Regular office hours are Monday through Thursday 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM, and Fridays 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM during the Fall and Spring semesters. The office shuts down on Fridays at 3:00 PM for administrative work.