Summer I Registration is March 16 – May 6, 2015
In-person Registration April 30 – May 1, 2015
Summer Session I Start Date: May 4, 2015
Summer Session I End Date: June 18, 2015
Summer II Registration is March 16 – July 14, 2015
In-person Registration July 7 – 9, 2015
Summer Session II Start Date: July 13
Summer Session II End Date: August 20
FAQs: SUMMER I 2015 ELIGIBILITY FOR FINANCIAL AID
Summer Aid Eligibility
Essex has two summer sessions during an academic year. The first summer session (Summer II) begins in July each year and the second summer session (Summer I) begins in May. Each session basically has the same eligibility requirements, but requires students to file two different FAFSA applications to qualify for aid. Please read all of the requirements below for the session(s) you plan to attend.
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Work-Study (FWS)
- Alternative Loans
Start and End DATES:
Summer Session I: May 4, 2015 – June 18, 2015
Summer Session II: July 13, 2015 – August 20, 2015
FAFSA FILING REQUIREMENTS:
Summer Session I 2015 – Students must file the 2014-2015 FAFSA.
Summer Session II 2015 – Students must file the 2015-2016 FAFSA.
General Eligibility Requirements for Summer Session I 2015:
- Must not have received the maximum Pell award for Fall and Spring.
- Must have registered for less than 12 credits during the Fall and/or Spring Semester.
- Did not attend any other college and received a Pell award at that college during the academic year.
- Must be registered for classes before the Office of Financial Aid will determine aid eligibility for Summer I.
- Student must have a 2014-2015 FAFSA on file in the Office of Financial Aid.
- Student must check myecc.essex.edu for any missing information or forms required and submit them before eligibility can be determined.
- Student must be admitted to Essex in a degree or certificate program.
- Student must meet all eligibility requirements to receive aid, which includes meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
Eligibility Requirements for Federal Work-Study and an Alternative Loan for Summer Session I:
Federal Work-Study (FWS):
- Awarded to students who have submitted a FWS application for 2014-2015 by the August 15, 2014 deadline. New applications for 2014-2015 will not be accepted after this date.
- FWS will be awarded based on funding, departmental needs and to students currently on FWS. Employment opportunities are very limited.
- Alternative loans (private loans) – Apply for a loan if not eligible for the Pell Grant.
- Student must be credit worthy or obtain a co-signer,
- Students must be in a degree or certificate program
- Student must be enrolled in at least 6 credits before the loan can be certified.
- Remember loans must be repaid.
- Apply at any lending institution of your choice.
- Essex County College does not participate in the Federal Direct Loan Program.
General Eligibility Requirements for Summer Session II 2015:
Same as the requirements for Summer Session I 2015 with the following exceptions:
- Students must have on file in the Office of Financial Aid a 2015-2016 FAFSA
- If the student is awarded Pell for Summer II 2015, Fall 2015 and Spring 2016, the Pell award for Spring 2016 will be reduced by the amount of Pell awarded to the student in Summer II 2015.
- Again, to prevent an overpayment of Pell during the 2015-2016 academic year, the student may not attend other college and receive a Pell award.
- Students must submit an FWS application for 2015-2016 by August 25, 2015 to be considered for employment in the program.
What happens if I add or drop a class after I am registered and awarded?
Answer: Your Pell award (if awarded) will be adjusted based on your enrollment status.
What happens if I am not eligible for Pell?
Answer: If you are not eligible for Pell for any reason (awarded your maximum Pell, not eligible etc.) you must be prepared to pay you bill in full, sign up for the College’s Payment Plan, or apply for an Alternative loan. Information about applying for a loan is on our website at www.essex.edu/fa/programs/loans/.
The Office of Financial Aid will review the student’s eligibility status to determine aid eligibility for either semester. All awards will be posted on myecc.essex.edu.