Division of Health Sciences
Physical Therapist Assistant Program
Procedures to Address Program Complaints
INTRODUCTION: Students, faculty, and staff have policies and procedures for filing complaints that are within the realm of due process. The appropriate student or faculty publication should be obtained and followed. For complaints that fall outside of the realm of due process, such as complaints about the program from clinical education sites, employers of graduates, and the public, the following policy and procedures should be used.
POLICY: The Division values the concerns and complaints that might arise from parties outside the College’s Due Process system and strives to respond to such concerns and complaints in a timely, fair, and appropriate manner.
DEFINITION OF A COMPLAINT: A complaint will be considered bona fide when the maker submits it in written, signed format or speaks with the Chairperson or Dean who notes the complaint in written format and indicates the name of the maker of the complaint.
- If a complaint regarding the Program is received by faculty, staff, or students and perceived as being outside the realm of due process, the Chairperson should be notified of the complaint at 973-877-1885 or by forwarding the written complaint.
- If the complaint is regarding the Chairperson, the Dean of Faculty should be notified within two working days.
- The Chairperson may act alone to address the complaint unless the complaint is directed at a Division faculty member. If indicated, the Chairperson will notify the maker of the action within 10 days of receipt.
- Complaints involving a Division faculty member are brought to the attention of the faculty member. If the Chairperson perceives the need for assistance in addressing the complaint about a faculty member, the tenured faculty will be consulted. If the complaint is about a tenured faculty member, that person may be excused from deliberations at the discretion of the Chairperson. If indicated, a resolution will be sought, and the maker of the complaint will be notified within 10 days of receipt.
- For complaints involving clinical education sites or clinical faculty as the maker or recipient of the complaint, the Chairperson will discuss the complaint with the Director of Clinical Education. If indicated, a resolution will be sought, and the maker of the complaint will be notified within 10 days of receipt.
- Generally, all complaints not involving a specific Division Faculty member will be shared with the faculty in an effort to discover possible resolutions and to educate the faculty about concerns from the public.
- All documents will be confidentially maintained in a locked cabinet by the Program Director for a period of three (3) years.