Essex County College is an open-door public community college that is committed to providing quality educational programs and life-long learning activities at the most affordable cost. The College is open to students with a wide variety of backgrounds and abilities. We take pride in the richness of our diversity and our nurturing atmosphere, which encourages people who otherwise might not aspire to higher education to enroll and excel.
The main campus is located in the heart of University Heights in Newark, New Jersey. Our urban campus covers three city blocks and houses high tech classrooms with advanced teaching modalities and state-of-the-art laboratories. We also have the West Essex campus located in West Caldwell, New Jersey, which meets the educational and training needs of people who live and work in the western part of Essex County. Essex has also expanded to include the Police Academy in Cedar Grove, NJ. The Academy is dedicated to providing quality educational programs for those interested in criminal justice and to meet the life-long learning needs of public safety officers in Essex County.
Accreditation and Licensure
Essex County College is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. It is licensed by the New Jersey Commission on Higher Education to operate and award associate degrees and certificates. All professional licensure programs offered by the College are accredited by their appropriate accrediting agencies. See Institutional Planning and Assessment.
Quick Facts about Essex County College:
- Established in 1966 and opened in 1968
- 48 majors and 564 courses
- Students from 51 countries
- Sports teams known as the Wolverines
- The College teams have won All-American in soccer, basketball, and indoor and outdoor track
- Sends more transfer students to Rutgers Newark, New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) and Bloomfield College than any other two-year college in the state.
- Ironbound Extension Center, Newark
- FOCUS Extension Center, Newark