Established in 1970 , the Educational Opportunity Fund at Essex County College facilitates access to higher education for students from low-income, economically and educationally disadvantaged communities.
The program has consistently offered a high quality, comprehensive range of services in order to meet student needs. A testimony to the success of the program is the large number of students who have graduated and are pursuing careers or continuing their studies in professional and other institutions of higher learning.
Major highlights of the program include the Pre-Summer Freshman Program, Counseling Services, Tutorial Services, and EOF Academic Scholarships.
The Pre-Freshman Program’s aims are three-fold:
- To strengthen basic academic, critical thinking, and personal skills in preparation for college;
- To provide early orientation to the college environment;
- To serve as a vehicle for early identification of EOF-eligible students.
- Low-income(receive or will receive State of NJ college aid – “TAG”)
- Full time student
- High School or GED diploma, or passing status on the Ability to Benefit Test (ABT)
The counseling component consists of academic, personal and financial aid services given in individual and group sessions. EOF services are characterized by strong student advocacy.
Tutoring services are provided in a number of subjects to program students. EOF students account for a significantly high proportion of students on the Dean’s List.
EOF scholarships are awarded for outstanding academic performance to graduating students who have been accepted to four-year institutions.
Today, over 1,000 students from the urban community are taking advantage of the opportunity provided by Essex County College’s EOF Program.
- Tutors Schedule Spring 2015
- Funds Available: Fall 2014 EOF Open Enrollment
- EOF Graduates (Aug. ’13, Dec. ’13, May ’14, Sum I ’14)
- EOF Forum: Money Management (03/18/2014 & 03/20/2014)
- Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society
- Need to talk to someone? Help is here!
You may also be interested in:
Educational Opportunity Fund
A. Zachary Yamba Building; Room 3203 (Green Area)
303 University Ave.
Newark, NJ 07102