Essex County College Facts
Degrees & Programs
Workforce Training & Business Solutions
Paying for College
Path to ECC
Student Life & Activities will be accepting Scholarship Applications for Students that will be graduating in the Spring 2023 or Summer I 2023 semesters, as well as, for students that graduated in Summer II 2022 and Fall 2022. The scholarship period will be announced during the Spring 2023 semester.
Scholarship Applications will be available in the Dasher Student Center Room 101 during the announced scholarship application period.
Please note the following:
*Late submissions will not be accepted!
Academic Achievement Award
This scholarship is presented to graduates who have demonstrated outstanding achievement.
· GPA drastically increased 6 consecutive semesters
· Voluntary work in some capacity at Essex County College
· Demonstrated leadership development and maintained an active role in a club at Essex County College
· Acceptance at a four-year college or university in the fall semester
Accounting Service Award
This scholarship is given by the Business Division of the College to outstanding graduates.
· Must be an Accounting major
Administrative Association Scholarship
This scholarship is given by the Administrative Association of the College to outstanding graduates.
· Has maintained a 3.0 or better grade point average
· Has been accepted for admission to a four-year college or university
· Demonstrates intellectual curiosity, professional promise and leadership qualities/li>
· Has been active in extracurricular activities for the past two years
Division of Biology, Chemistry & Health Technologies Scholarship
· Science graduates who have exemplified academic achievement
Business Administration Award
· Demonstrated academic promise
· Made significant contributions to the college or community
Charles G. Lovallo – Community & Continuing Education Scholarship
· The graduate must have been enrolled or participated in a Community and Continuing Education program
· Demonstrated academic performance (Minimum GPA of 3.0)
· Completion of a 250 word essay, “How the Community and Continuing Education program/course contributed to my academic success.”
· Acceptance into a four-year institution, professional school or employment following the awarding of an Associate degree
· Applications for this scholarship can be obtained from the Community & Continuing Education department
Darlene Liggins Scholarship
The scholarship has been established by Peggy R. Urso-Savarese in memory of Darlene Liggins who attended Essex and became a successful marketing manager and director in both the communication and banking industries.
· Female business major
· Highest grade point average
Essex County College Alumni Association Scholarship
Alumni of the College donate funds to decrease the costs associated with attending a four year institution.
· Demonstrated scholastic achievement
· Affirmed their commitment to continue their education through enrollment in a four-year institution Executive Dean of Student Services Scholarship
Faculty Association Scholarship
Each year the Essex County College Faculty Association (ECCFA) provides scholarships on behalf of the Faculty to outstanding students.
· Minimum GPA of 3.5
· Graduating student: The student must be certified eligible for graduation by his/her department and the college
· Returning Faculty Scholars: The student must have complete 30 credits of non-developmental course work (courses numbered 100 or higher) required by his/her curriculum
· The candidate represents in character and achievement those qualities which the ECCFA Scholarship Committee extols as an exemplary student worthy of public recognition.
· Faculty testimony must state in writing that the candidate is a student who is not only an exemplary scholar, but also makes a contribution to the scholarly pursuits of other students
Hispanic Heritage/Andres V. Cubero Scholarship
The scholarship was established by the Hispanic Heritage Month Committee.
· Must have a GPA of 2.75 or better
· Demonstrated commitment and involvement to Essex County College and/or the community
· A graduating student earning an Associate Degree
· Must be a continuing student at a four-year college
· An acceptance letter from a four-year college by September 1 of the awarded year
Hon. Patricia Juliano Memorial Scholarship
· A single mother
· Active involvement in civic advocacy or political causes
· Maintain a 2.5 GPA or better
John R. Wood Memorial Scholarship
Named in honor of the College’s first Acquisition Librarian, this scholarship is presented to a graduate who has demonstrated a sincere interest in humanitarian endeavors.
· Minimum GPA of 3.0
· U.S. citizen or permanent resident
· Proof of acceptance to an accredited institution
· Completion of an essay on a topic of why you deserve the John R. Wood Scholarship
Kassa, Cofer & Slade Academic Achievement and Student Success Scholarship
This scholarship is in honor of retired long serving employees of Essex County College: Zewdnesh (Zee) Kassa, the late Mildred Cofer and Patricia Slade
· Dean’s list all semesters enrolled
· Completed degree with GPA 3.5 or higher
· Active member of community and/or in ECC Clubs
· Transferring to a 4-year institution
The Leaguers, Inc. Award
The award is to provide access to higher education for needy and deserving African American students who have demonstrated the ability to succeed academically.
· Demonstrate academic promise and performance. (Minimum GPA of 3.20)
· African-American male or female
· U.S citizenship or permanent resident
· Demonstrated financial need
· Demonstrated community involvement
· Proof of acceptance into a four-year institution
· New Jersey resident
Drs. Mary B. and Reynold E. Burch Scholarship Fund
· Accepted at a four-year college, university or professional school to pursue the arts or allied health
· A prospective applicant should demonstrate exceptional acumen, talent, skill and potential in the arts or allied health fields.
Dr. Matilda Akinyemi-Oloba Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship has been established at Essex County College by the Akinyemi Family of Newark, NJ in memory of their beloved sister, daughter and mother, Dr. Matilda Akinyemi-Oloba. Dr. Akinyemi practiced medicine with the highest level of compassion and care. The goal of the scholarship is to provide financial support to Essex County College students who are majoring in Biology/Pre-Medicine or other healthcare related disciplines and plan to transfer to a four-year institution, with the desire to pursue medicine after completion of their undergraduate degree.
· Must be a Biology/Pre-Medicine major or other healthcare related discipline
· Accepted at a four-year college or university
· Desire to pursue medicine after completion of their undergraduate degree
· Demonstrated academic promise and performance. (Minimum GPA of 3.0)
· Student must complete at least MTH 122 at Essex County College
· Student must have taken a minimum of 16 college-level credits in Math at Essex County College
· Math GPPA of 3.0 or better in courses taken at Essex County College
· In the event of ties, the overall GPA of courses taken at Essex County College is considered
Phi Theta Kappa
· Member of the Phi Theta Kappa, the national honor society for two-year college students
Robert Sydney Needham Memorial Scholarship
· Must be a graduate of a NJ High School
· Demonstrated history of community service or campus leadership
Social Work Student Association Scholarship
· Has been an active a member of the Social Work Student Association
· Who is completing a degree with either a Human & Social Services or a Social Sciences major
· Has attained at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
Dr. Peter Myers/ Professor David Barnes Scholarship
· Be a Social Science Major
· Be graduating with at least a 3.0 GPA or higher
· Have gained Admission to a 4-year College or University
· Write a 2-page Essay about yourself, including your commitment to Social Justice in recent times.
· Two letters of Recommendation from two current members of faculty.
Women Talking to Women Scholarship
· Must be a female and graduating from ECC with a 3.5 GPA or higher
· African American and be a Human and Social Service Program major
· Accepted at a four-year school in the Fall 2022 semester to continue her major in Social Work atan accredited university
XIOMARA TORRES LEGACY SCHOLARSHP
The E.O.F. Scholarship at Essex County College is given annually to graduating E.O.F. student(s) who have completed a full-time credit load with a GPA of 2.5 or better; has participated in E.O.F. required activities, and has contributed to the college community. In addition, the student(s) must submit a personal written assessment of how the E.O.F. Program has been of assistance to them while attending Essex County College.
· EOF participant
· 3.0 GPA or above
· Exemplifies the spirit of The EOF Program
FLORENCE WIDEMAN BEY SCHOLARSHIP
The scholarship is awarded to the student who complies with the following: City of Newark, NJ resident, must be at least 35 years old, active in extracurricular activities within the college, demonstrated leadership qualities within the community, has been accepted for admission to a four year accredited college/university; must be a female representative of the E.O.F majority student population. Also, student must submit a essay on how the E.O.F Program has prepared her to attend a four year college/university; including a brief statement regarding her personal philosophy on life.
· Resident of Newark; female
· At least 35 years of age
· 2.0 GPA or above