More than 5% of Essex County College students are international. We are proud to be the college of choice for students from over 60 countries. ECC is always looking to help new international scholars study in the United States.

Essex County College requires a minimum English Proficiency. Applicant who have completed secondary education from an institution where English is not the official language of instruction will be required to submit proof of English proficiency for admission as an F1 status student. TOEFL or IELTS scores are accepted. However all students who achieve the required TOEFL/IELTS score are still required to complete English and math placement test before registering for the first time at Essex County College. Some developmental, supplemental ESL course may still be required.

Students must earn a passing score on either the IELTS or TOEFL English proficiency exams before being admitted to ECC. We recommend that incoming students work on these exams before the rest of their documentation.

International Student Services is deeply concerned about the current coronavirus outbreak and sincerely hope that you, your families, and your friends have not been directly impacted. The best way to submit your international student application is to email complete application package for international admission including an application for admission, proof of high school graduation, notarized affidavits of support, appropriate financial documentation, transfer request if you are transfer student, application for Form I-20 and Immunization form to [email protected]

International Student FAQ

Common questions for ECC students from all over the world.


Q. What is the deadline to apply for international students?

A. For Fall Semester admission, completed applications must be received by May 1.

For Spring Semester admission, completed applications must be received by August 1.

Be aware that the deadline to apply for international students is much earlier than for domestic students, because of the added processing time.


Q. Can I apply during summer sessions?

A. International student applications are not accepted during summer sessions. International students with F-class visas may not take classes during the summer semester.


Q. I have more questions. Who can I ask?

A. You can contact an International Student Advisor by calling (973) 877-3207 or (973) 877-3154.